MS Access w/ TFS

Discussion in 'TFS service' started by TechGuy, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. We currently use your TFS hosting for our .Net applications. Now we are needing it within Access. From what I am reading, and I'm not 100% sure how it works yet, tfs needs to be an MSSCCI provider.

With that being said, are you able to host an access application? If not, can this capability be added?

Thank you!

2. Well, I'll answer my own question!

I was able to create a project and send up the files without an issue. What it does was a little different than expected. It isn't saving the actual mdb file but it creates a folder and puts the individual pieces (tables, forms, etc) of the database into it as files.

We are still working out the details but it seems that the TFS can handle this.

Thanks!

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

thanks for posting a follow up.

4. I didnt want to start a new thread on this since this was a fairly new topic, but can anyone explain how the DiscountASP Hosted TFS Solution integrates with MS ACCESS?

I am looking for a hosted TFS solution that will support MS ACCESS as well as new .net based applications.

I understand that there is a MS ACCESS add-in or two that you have to install. Is there anything special that needs to be done on the TFS hosting side to allow for integratoin with MS ACCESS?

Any info that would help in this decision would be appreacited. Thanks.

5. What I've found...

So I thought I would update this thread with what I've found. Hopefully it will help someone else in the future:

1. Start with this link on install the MS Access Developer Extension and the MSSCCI add-in for TFS.
    http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-access/archive/2008/05/14/access-source-code-control-and-team-foundation-server.aspx

**if using Visual Studio 2010, then download the MSSCCI add-in here (an important detail is that even if you are running a 64-bit OS, you still install the 32-bit version since MS Access is a 32-bit application):
    http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/bce06506-be38-47a1-9f29-d3937d3d88d6

2. Now in MS ACCESS, you should see a new Source Control tab. Under that tab, you can select "Add database to SourceSafe" to add your project to TFS. You can also do it via the Ribbon-> Developer Tools->Create from Team Foundation... but I thought the first method seemed more straight forward.

3. Select all the items you want to check in and select OK.

I still dont have it all figued out yet, but this is one way to get things integrated. I was working with MS ACCESS 2007 and Visual Studio/TFS 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.