How to run on the build agent test automation that accesses SQL databases?

Discussion in 'TFS service' started by Ladi, Jul 25, 2013.

1. We have a hosted TFS account with discountasp.net and we have the option of running automated builds. As part of the build we want to run some test automation that results in the code accessing our SQL Server databases. I wonder if anyone tried this or has any recommendation on how to do it? If I had my own TFS and build agents I could install a SQL Server Developer Edition on the build agent. I am not sure that is an option on the hosted account. I see tree possible directions:

1. Have a SQL Server developer edition installed on our build agent. Is that possible? Would DiscountASP be able to do that? I know they accept service tickets to install other dependencies on the build agents.
    2. Have the test automation access a database provided by DiscountASP (on a database plan). I am not sure in that case how much the test automation will be slowed down.
    3. Have the test automation access an Azure database that is under our control but I know in that case the test automation will get significantly slower.

Thanks,
    Ladi

2. Joseph Jun

Joseph Jun DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hi Ladi,

I'm sorry, I didn't see this post and I don't think that there will be any problems. Just reply to the current support ticket that's open and I'll provide some further information.