google mx record

Discussion in 'Hosting Services / Control Panel' started by pile, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. does anyone know the correct setting for google mail mx record.

i have try twice and incorrect .

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Google should provide you with the proper MX record to point to.

Check their documentation.

3. mjp

mjp

If you're having problems because our DNS system won't accept the "1" that Google specifies, try this:

ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 10
    ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 15
    ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 15
    ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 20
    ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 20
    ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 20
    ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 20

As pointed out in another thread, those values are relative, so as long as they are ordered properly, the values can be whatever you want to set them to.

4. Did you actually get this to work or was this just a suggestion?

-Steve

5. mjp

mjp

It's a suggestion based on making it work elsewhere. I don't have Gmail on any DASP-hosted domains, so I can't check it personally. But it should work.

6. I too have now tried twice to get this to work and Google is telling me that my MX records are configured incorrectly.

I'd love to hear from anyone who actually has Gmail working from an account hosted here.

Thanks
    -Steve

7. mjp

mjp

Steve, I took the liberty of looking at your DNS record. Try removing "mail." from the mx records. It should be just your domain name in those lines.

I don't believe our DNS manager will let you alter the domain in an mx record when you use [edit] however, so you will have to delete those entries and re-create them. When you re-create the mx records, do not enter anything in the empty field in front of the domain name. Just complete the "Destination" and "Distance" fields.

8. mjp,
    Once again, discountasp.net support shines!

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me, I'll make the suggested changes and report back.

One question is what will the URL be? Or perhaps more precise how can I get mail.strefethen.com to redirect to Google?

Thanks again!
    -Steve

9. mjp

mjp

Cool! Glad it worked.

10. mjp

mjp

When I checked, your DNS was set up correctly for that (CNAME for "mail" pointing to ghs.google.com.), but you have to select that option somewhere in the Google apps control panel to activate it on their end.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.